1. What did you do this year that you’d never done before?
- Started a small business
- made jam, baked crumpets, grew beetroot and brewed rhubarb wine.
- went to Belgium
- spoke at a blogging conference
- rode a bike in Paris
- rode in a “bike race”!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next this year?
Kept them like a mofo for the first six months then kinda lost my way for awhile. Back on track now. They’re more Good Habits for Life rather than resolutions.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Lorraine again and Linda. And lots of school pals. The baby avalanche continues!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. And no Sponsor Dogs died either, for a change!
5. What countries did you visit?
Belgium, Italy, France and USA
6. What would you like to have next year that you lacked in this one?
7. What dates from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The first day of the Fitbloggin conference – meeting blog pals in a jetlagged euphoria.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Starting Up and Running. It blows my mind every time I log on to our forum and see all these amazing women running around and kicking arse in a little corner of the internet that we created. Also reading 52 books in 52 weeks after years of trying to hit that dumbarse target.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Working too much on the weekend.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just my stupid knee still being a bastard. Almost made it through cold-free until a rotten one right before Christmas.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
A decent hairdryer
12. Where did most of your money go?
Four new windows and a back door. Honestly the most fucking boring purchase in my life. But nice to have windows that don’t leak when it rains.
13. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Killing! And this here Kvikk Lunsj chocolate bar that Gareth brought back from Norway. Wonder if I’ll get excited about anything in 2012 that isn’t either edible or Scandinavian!?
15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
I don’t really like this happy/sad simplification coz life is always light and shade. But I’m more content and better at dealing with the shitty bits.
b) thinner or fatter?
Marginally thinner. Which means still way chunkier than I want to be, but really pleased with how it’s going.
c) richer or poorer?
About the same, but those bloody windows didn’t help.
16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Gardening. It’s a jungle out there.
17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Staying up too late on a school night.
18. How did you spend Christmas?
For the third year on the trot, Rhi and in-laws came over. We introduced Jamie Oliver’s Jerk ham to the menu… bloody beautiful! We also started a new Christmas Even tradition: “Early Edible Present”. Despite my obsessive planning I’d not bought anything in the Snacks To Eat While Watching Cheesy Christmas Movies category. So we raided the Christmas stockings for one tasty ration each.
19. Did you fall in love this year?
With Barney, my Kindle! Gareth also got a Kindle this year and called it Kevin “Bloody” Kindle which never fails to crack me up when I see it on the screen. Also fell in love again with George Harrisson (see #22)
20. What was your favorite TV program?
The Killing! The Danish one, tak you very much.
21. What was the best book you read?
Didn’t really have a particular favourite this year.
22. What was your favorite film of this year?
I saw five movies at the cinema this year: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (nae bad), The Lavender Hill Mob (classic), Bridesmaids (great), Whisky Galore (ace) and It’s A Wonderful Life (blubbed like a baby). ET was on the telly on Christmas Eve and I blubbed at that too! The best thing I watched was the documentary George Harrisson: Living In The Material World. What a bloke, seriously. I’m a huge Beatles fan so thought it would be a nice thing to watch but it was so emotionally involving and really ripped me up/
23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Work again. Gareth took me out for a fancy dinner. It was lovely but we absconded to a cheaper place for pudding!
24. What kept you sane?
Books again, but on the Kindle. I love having that instant escape in my handbag at all times.
26. Who did you miss?
Everyone in Australia, again.
27. Who was the best new person you met?
Julia, in person at last, and a few hundred Up & Runners.