Is there anyone reading this who has a technical kind of job amongst a bunch of non-technical people? I am the Webmistress amongst a herd of buffoon public servants, and every time there is something vaguely icky about a machine, they come to me thinking that my web knowledge somehow extends to anything that goes bleep. It really shits me, because I really DO NOT BLOODY KNOW how to fix machines or whatnot. Don't they know I am not even really a web person, that I am just pretending? Just this week I have had asked of me:
- Why is the printer smudging ink on my report?
- Do you know how to do styles in Word?
- How do you spell Adelaide?
- Can you change my monitor around so it points up more?
- How do I type a dollar sign on my Palm Pilot?
- Hey Shauna, how come when I pulled this big chunk of plastic out of the printer, the printer won't go back together again?
- What's another word for yours sincerely?
- What's these red and green squiggles in my word document?
- How do you refill the stapler?
- Can you make me a diagram in Excel?
- Can you fix my calculator?
- Shauna Shauna Shauna! Why are my faxes coming out blank?
- Can you show me how to make my mobile have those groovy songs when it rings?
- Hey Shauna, are you a real webmistress? Then show me your whip and let's get busy!
One of the above is not true.